Wednesday, April 13, 2016

~Keffiyeh Soap~

My soap was to mimic the Keffiyeh ( Traditional Palestinian Scarf)
I used the 9 bar silicone mold from BB
I'm mixed race and I'm very proud of my Palestinian heritage. My father was born in Hebron, in the West bank.
On to soap..
I ordered olive oil from Palestine and used Samuel Adams Boston lager as my liquid because I live in Massachusetts.


I used coconut oil, palm, olive, shea and mango and cocoa butter
Tussah silk was added to the lye solution.
Arabian Spice was the fragrance for the main batch.
It is from BB also.
I added TD to the soap batter but it only lightened it up a bit.
Below is the lye solution and you can see its dark

After I unmolded it it I sketched it out and my daughter helped carve it and pull out the pieces.



I was stressing that it was still dark and adding black soap to the parts that were carved out, would look like a dirty Keffiyeh.😢😢
I made one more batch with water and brought it to an emulsion only.
Split it in half and used TD in one and black oxide in the other. The black was scented with a sample bottle of Sweet Fig from BB
With a paint brush and the soap just sitting in the silicone mold I began painting the white on. Behind me my daughter was using a dropper it add the black. It took two coats for the white to stick and yes it did have drip marks on the sides. Both white and black. I was able to clean that up the next day.
With both of us working so hard. No pictures were taken of the painting.

Here is the finished pics


I wanted to do a soap with Lizzy Borden or the Salem Witches
But my daughter said, "don't be the creepy you Ma".


26 comments:

  1. Really lovely design. Such a lot of work to paint it all on, It turned out great though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Omneya! I think it's great your daughter helped out too! I love the Arabian Spice Frag, but it likely is part of what discolored your 1st soap :(. You rose to the occasion and conquered with the 2nd one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the fragrance and the beer was my down fall. I didn't think that out too well lol. But I'm thankful for my daughters help in the carving. My hands shake

      Delete
  3. So neat!! Love the inspiration for your design! I hope you finish the carved soap as well - I think it is stunning also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try it again with a base that is completely white, but that outline and carving is a pain in the a$$ lol

      Delete
  4. Wow! your soap is wonderful. I love your story behind your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa!!! I love my Keffiyeh 💟

      Delete
  5. I love this! The carving is emmaculate and I love how you added that extra white later on top. I think it looks so good! And the scent sounds DEVINE! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! The carving is emmaculate and I love how you added that extra white later on top. I think it looks so good! And the scent sounds DEVINE! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 💞💞💞💞

      Delete
  7. It looks so much like the scarf ! I love your inspiration story too :) good luck for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter is so cute (just like my 16 year old son). "Don't be the creepy you, mom!" Ha. Great job on this. I have never carved soap before and found your soap to be inspiring. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Teens! They know e everything!!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful soap, truly liked that you honored so many parts of your heritage/location. Gayle in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved that you and your daughter did this as a joint project and how you managed to fit in so many ways that this relates to your past/present heritage.
    That being said, I think it would have been fine to be "creepy you" if so inspired. After all - I'm from Colorado and while my soap entry was about a "Point of Geological Interest," Colorado is also known (these days) for legalized marijuana. This could have gone so many different ways, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao Lisa, see I would have done what you are insinuating. One day I'll have my damn creepy soap!
      Thank you for the kind xomments

      Delete
    2. Comments!!! Not commits!! Damn can and v are next to each other

      Delete
  11. Love it Omneya! and love your story and inspiration too. Fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very intricate design, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So creative and a great inspiration piece you chose. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the inspiration as well as the painting! It turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete